Re: USB sound device present but visible in ‘alsamixer’

On Sun, Feb 6, 2022, 9:42 AM Pankaj Jangid <pankaj@codeisgreat.org> wrote:
Pankaj Jangid <pankaj@codeisgreat.org> writes:

> When I boot system afresh, the card is visible in the ‘alsamixer’ and in
> Gnome settings as well. Shown as “Blue” S/PDIF input and output
> devices. But when system wakes up from sleep (suspended), it doesn’t
> show the devices.
>
> However, ‘lsusb’ shows it and ‘/proc/asound/cards’ has an entry. But
> these devices (mic and speaker) are not taking any input or producing
> sound. Because they are not visible to Gnome and ‘alsamixer’.
>
> pankaj@anant:~$ lsusb
> Bus 001 Device 003: ID 046d:0ab7 Logitech, Inc. Blue Microphones
> pankaj@anant:~$ cat /proc/asound/cards
>  3 [Microphones    ]: USB-Audio - Blue Microphones
>                       Generic Blue Microphones at usb-0000:2a:00.1-2, high speed

I am trying to make it work; so here is the update.

I tried to experiment with my machine and found that if I plug-out and
plug-in the USB sound card again, it is not shown by "aplay -l" command
as normal user. But when I do "sudo aplay -l" it lists the USB
device. But I am part of "audio" group. "groups" command output:

ankaj@anant:~$ groups
pankaj cdrom floppy sudo audio dip video plugdev netdev bluetooth scanner docker

I don’t know what other configuration is required to list my card using
"aplay -l" as a normal user?

You may need to give normal users added privileges. Or it may be that you need to set your running group or user identity to something else in order to use aplay effectively. Could that be the group named audio?

See help for the newgrp command. Or just as you have done, try to craft the right sudo command to invoke it the way you want. Then you could add a shorthand to it in sudoers or create a shell alias accordingly.

Or, not recommended, you could change the aplay executable or front-end to it in order to make it a set[ug]id executable.

It lists the card when I reboot the
machine. But not when I plug-out and plug-in again. Any hints for this?

This could be root cause of my original problem i.e. no sound after
sleep and wake-up.