Re: interface/network scripting - how to?

Kamil Jońca <kjonca@o2.pl> writes:

> 2. name resolving is properly configured:
>   ie. home1.tld DNS queries are passed to home1 network
>       work1.tld DNS queries are passed to work1 network (via openvpn tunnel)
>       work2.tld DNS queries are passed to work2 network (via ipsec tunnel)

So how have you setup this part? I always thought this needs a local
name server, such as systemd-networkd provides and which I switched to
once I heard it had been implemented. Before I had just wobbly
resolvconf which usually got the DNS setup wrong. I managed fix it so it
was mostly OK but it was never good.

> I am quite happy with my current config but sometimes I can read that
> /etc/network/interfaces is "deprecated" in favor of systemd-networkd or
> netplan.

I never heard that.

> So I have two questions:
> 1. Should I prepare migration?

If you're happy with the setup, I don't see why. Well, if you like to
learn new things, sure, go for it. I just find it a bit of pain to make
major changes to my network. I did recently replace my router but since
it was just a router for wired connections it was fairly easy to replace
it once I had configured the new one.

> 2. How these things can be achieved with systemd-networkd? I read the
> manuals, but I was not able to find working examples and I am not sure
> where can I start.

I do have a similar if simpler setup, I just have a single VPN (openvpn)
connection to the internet and have a local network of a few
machines. DNS queries go either to my router or the VPN provider's DNS,
depending on the interface.

I can't remember how I got started with systemd-networkd, it's been a
few years. Internet searches probably. systemd documentation is a decent
reference but as such they don't usually tell you how to build something
specific. I don't remember any particular difficulty in finding pages on
how to get started.