Re: Printing lots of pages skips a few

On Tue, Feb 01, 2022 at 10:42:31PM +0530, Pankaj Jangid wrote:
> Greg Wooledge <greg@wooledge.org> writes:
> > A correct version would be:
> >
> > find . -name "pref*.pdf" -exec lp {} +

> Thanks for this brief course, Greg. I really liked it.
>
> In my case though, I had verified that the output of find is okay for
> xargs. Then I added | xargs lp.
>
> But could this be cause of missing page. The output of find is:

> 2018/letters/060718I049905433.pdf
> 2018/letters/250518I049904099.pdf
> 2018/letters/150918I049901510.pdf
[..]

OK.  Then there must be something else wrong.

I can't help noticing that none of your filenames begin with "pref",
so none of them actually match the -name pattern that's being given
to find.  One of the obvious ways you could experience this problem
is that the "missing" files don't match the pattern you're using.

Beyond that, perhaps some of the files are empty (either literally
zero bytes, or they contain only "comments" or metadata that doesn't
cause the generation of images using ink on paper when printed).

Or... the files aren't readable due to permissions.  Or they're not in
the directories you think they're in.

Can you identify *which* files aren't being visibly printed?  By process
of elimination, you should be able to find out.  Pick one of them, and
analyze the situation.  If it's not an issue with the name, location or
permissions, then try to open it with a PDF viewer.  If it opens correctly,
try printing it with "lp".