Re: hostname is being reset, killing net on reboot

On Mon 24 Jan 2022 at 10:39:01 -0600, David Wright wrote:

> On Sun 23 Jan 2022 at 15:01:09 (-0500), Greg Wooledge wrote:

> > > What advice would you give to a user regarding the benefits of a hosts
> > > file as opposed to more modern techniques?
> >
> > I'll treat this question as "static interface configuration and hosts
> > files".
> >
> > The advantage is that it's conceptually simpler.
> >
> > The disadvantages are numerous.
> >
> >  * Adding a new host, or changing a host's IP address, requires
> >    platform-specific knowledge on the host in question.  On a
> >    heterogeneous network, that means you need knowledge of how to do
> >    this on all the different platforms.  This may include devices like
> >    printers, where it's quite difficult, maybe even impossible, to
> >    configure an address without DHCP.
> >
> >  * After a change is made, it has to be replicated across your entire
> >    network.  Manually.
> >
> >  * Any "visitor" machines that are temporarily added to your network will
> >    need to be configured manually, and they will have zero knowledge of
> >    the other hosts on the network.  Even if you know their names, there
> >    won't be any DNS in which you can look up their addresses.
> >
> > For anyone setting up a new home network, I'd recommend using DHCP.  It
> > will be a lot simpler in the long run, especially if you start adding
> > wireless devices (cell phones, tablets, TV streaming devices, etc.).
> > Your router probably already acts as a DHCP server, so all you need to
> > do is learn how to configure fixed addresses for specific computers (and
> > printers) that want to act like servers.  The other devices can just get
> > random addresses.  Guest machines can just be connected and start working
> > without issues.
>
> Yes, I'd agree with all those arguments for DHCP, which is why I use
> it, hence its inclusion in my post at the top of this subthread, and
> why I can't understand Gene's aversion to it. But that's all about
> configuration, and the quoted comment at the top of this post is AIUI
> about /resolving/ hostnames through /etc/hosts.

Resolving hostnames on the local network is simple and reliable when
avahi-daemon and linnss-mdns are available.

  brian@desktop:~$ getent hosts envy4500.local
  192.168.7.235   envy4500.local

Continually and nanually maintain /etc/hosts? Not in 2022!

--
Brian.