Re: Re: Why did Norbert Preining (having maintained KDE) left Debian?

On Mon Jan 24 08:51:46 2022 max <maxwillb@mailfence.com> wrote:

> For comparison, RMS is publicly against singular "they",
> and Debian developers voted not to censure him.
> https://stallman.org/articles/genderless-pronouns.html
> Seems like a double standard, but whatever.

I've bookmarked that web page.  I largely agree with RMS on this one.
(Although regarding his "y'all" comment, a Texan once explained to me
that "y'all" is singular; the plural is "all y'all".)

This PC 2.0 fad (like PC 1.0 in the early 1990s) has gotten out of hand.
(My favourite riposte from the PC 1.0 era is "s/h/it".)

IMHO "they" is plural.  Period.  If we want genderless pronouns (and
I agree that we seem to need them) we should create something new,
rather than indulging in a grotesque form of operator overloading.

https://dilbert.com/strip/2021-06-01
https://dilbert.com/strip/2021-07-21

--
/~\  Charlie Gibbs                  |