Re: USB UEFI recovery stick

On Mon, Jan 24, 2022 at 11:55:20AM +0100, deloptes wrote:
> Thank you for the response
>
> David Christensen wrote:
>
> > I have a computer with an Intel DQ67SW desktop motherboard (released Q1,
> > 2011).  The Setup utility allows me to select BIOS/MBR mode or UEFI/GPT
> > mode.  d-i seems to detect if the computer is running in BIOS/MBR mode
> > or in UEFI/GPT mode, and performs an install to match.  So, I installed
> > Debian twice (via textual "Install") onto a pair of USB sticks, once in
> > each mode.  (An "Expert" installation may offer more options.)
>
> Ah 2011 seems right to match the one that refer to here.
> I can boot from the CD/DVD into UEFI, but it seems I can not do the same
> from the USB.
> The USB which is UEFI can boot the newer notebook (has secure mode)
>

> > I mostly run my computers in BIOS/MBR mode, and use the BIOS/MBR USB
> > stick frequently.
> >

> > I have limited experience with the UEFI/GPT USB stick.  I need to test
> > it on a newer computer with Secure Boot, and may need to create a third
> > USB stick.
> >

> > AIUI d-i and Debian Live are open-source projects.  I believe they both
> > support all of the above in a single image.  If you have the skills,
> > perhaps you could fork one and create your own image with the tools you
> > want.
>
> The question is if it is not limited by the board. If I disable Legacy USB I
> can not use the keyboard/mouse and I have to reset the bios.
>
> But even in Legacy mode I see in boot options UEFI USB disk, however it does
> not boot, but same stick boots on the more recent notebook.
>
> Does someone knows more about it. What and where to check? I would not spend
> time if it is the boards BIOS. I'll just keep a copy of the DVD/CD as
> rescue
>
> thanks
>
> --
> FCD6 3719 0FFB F1BF 38EA 4727 5348 5F1F DCFE BCB0

Hi deloptes,

It depends very much on the machine. I've just saved a machine that has
32 bit UEFI implementation and a 64 bit Atom processor. It's an Intel Baytrail
with a small amount of memory [2G] but required the Debian multi-arch .iso
to boot.

A later model of the same series - Lenovo Ideapad - does support 64 bit UEFI
and UEFI processor. Which machine do you have and what's the processor?

All the very best

Andy Cater

Which machine, which processor.