Re: hostname is being reset, killing net on reboot

On Sunday, January 23, 2022 2:09:27 PM EST Brian wrote:
> On Sun 23 Jan 2022 at 13:53:01 -0500, gene heskett wrote:
> > On Sunday, January 23, 2022 1:26:56 PM EST Felix Miata wrote:
> > > Greg Wooledge composed on 2022-01-23 08:42 (UTC-0500):

> > > I've been sharing the very same hosts file among all my PCs for
> > > well
> > > over a decade, probably closer to two.
> >
> > And I have been for 2 decades and change as it once had an amiga as
> > one of its clients.
>
> What advice would you give to a user regarding the benefits of a hosts
> file as opposed to more modern techniques?

Because every distro has their own way of arriving at a _usually_ works
dhcp setup, the fixed rules for using a hosts file usually results in
less need for esoteric knowledge of how a given distro does it, and a far
more consistently working local net.  We've probably in excess of 60
machines by now at the tv station I retired from in 2002, and a common
hosts file similar to my own setup still works fine. The main diff is
that we bought a block of 16 addresses from a registrar in about 1995,
and only those machines are network allowed outside of the buildings
network. Most are sales machines running winderz, so we have had our
share of viri.  The heart of the system is linux, mostly centos,
including the inhouse built videoservers, two of which can record 4 hidef
channels each, while playing 4 other programs to air at the same time.

They Just Work, unlike commercial winderz stuff that BSODs every 3 hours.

dhcp is nice, when it works, but to me it needless complexity and yet
anther point of failure.  For big systems, its ok, but for under 100
machines, tain't needed. At about 50 machines, a full time tech is
needed, if only to clean up the viri in the sales machines.  Gotta keep
the cash cow fresh you know. ;o)

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis