Re: firefox and limited bookmarks. WTH?

On Sat, 22 Jan 2022, at 20:05, gene heskett wrote:

> Since installing bullseye, and your version of firefox, discovering that
> dissenter is history, I just found that firefoxes forever retention of
> bookmarks now has a max limit set way too low ...

I doubt my comment will be what you want to hear ... but I keep just
TWO bookmarks in each browser (firefox, chrome, and in the past
some others).  Those are for google's advanced search page, & my
local html disk file which is the starting point (*) for a set of html disk
files which contain URLs of related-subject links that I often need.

 * - I don't actually have the bookmark point at a specific page of
     URLs, but instead at an initial file which contains a redirect to
     the first page of URLs.   That way I can point it elsewhere if I
     need to, and that change will be seen everywhere.

The html disk files are in Dropbox, so accessible to all my machines.

If a browser forgets my two bookmarks, they're easy to reinstate, and
they work on all browsers.  As the bookmark files are just plain text
files they can be searched by any utility, not something browser-specific.

If I need to add a bookmark to one of my disk files, I edit it into place
along with a description and any notes I might need related to it.

I don't store any of my banking URLs on those pages; not because of
a security concern but just because whenever I log in to a bank I will
always be updating notes - not least the time & date of that login -
and so I can refer to the URL stored in that bank's notes file.

All the separate pages of URLs use broadly speaking the same html
and simple CSS.  They all contain a set of links to other similar files,
and a reminder to me of what I'd need to type in a terminal window
to open that specific page in a text editor.  The simplest page (which
doesn't tell you much about me & my interests) contains links to bits
of the BBC's websites.  See:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p8x9c7hkp6180lf/2022-01-22%20BBC_Bookmarks.jpg?dl=0

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.