Re: Where is Debian 11 installer for amd64 that works please ?

On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 09:10:01PM +1300, C.T.F. Jansen wrote:
> Greetings
>
> I have been trying to install Debian 11 on an Asus from 2018 with i5 using
> amd64 install DVD's  with 11.1.0 and 11.2.0 and a net install CD with 11.2.0
> . All three have fallen over because of installer bugs.
>
>   There is currently a Debian 9 system on the laptop that went on without
> difficulty.

If you have already got a laptop that is running Debian:

a. You can upgrade it in place to Debian 10 and Debian 11.

or

b. You can install Debian 11 over the top of 9 - this is a destructive
process but will give you an absolutely clean install.

This is a fairly regular topic on this list: I prefer to do a) but the
advice of others may vary.

First things first - copy off any data that you really must have - which
is always a good plan. Also, note things that you may have changed / third
party .deb packages and so on - so that you have a head start if anything
goes wrong. [Network connection passwords, mail settings are always useful
and it's hard to remember and recreate them when they're wiped :) ]

If you do decide to upgrade in place: make sure that your Debian 9 installation
is up to date and fully patched first. Follow the release notes for Debian 10.
Upgrade to 10, reboot, then follow the release notes for 11 and upgrade.
You are bringing your machine forwards five years or so - so things will
change.

11.2 non-free network install should "just work" to install from scratch.
Installing to an external disk is possbile but not done as often as
other install methods - you'd need to look very carefully at where and
how the grub bootloader is installed.

Some details of the erors you're seeing would be useful.

All the very best,

Andrew Cater