Re: cooperative.co.uk has address 127.0.0.1

On Thu 20 Jan 2022 at 09:50:01 (+0000), Jonathan Dowland wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2022 at 06:50:06PM -0600, Nicholas Geovanis wrote:
> > I hate to douse the party, but all 127.0.0.0/8 addresses are defined to be
> > loop back. So no network interface card or network stack on top of it
> > should write anything to the wire or air to that address.
>
> …that's entirely consistent with what we wrote. That's the entire point
> of the setup I described.

Agreed, …

> > It's just bored system administrators :-)

… and I can't see just how that would alleviate their boredom.

But nobody here has said what cooperative.co.uk pointed to in the past,
if anything. My own relationship with the Coop (bank¹/shopping/divi)
ceased before I started using the internet for personal business, so
it's not something I could look up on old correspondence, stationery etc.

I did wonder if it might ever have pointed to the banking arm of the
Coop, back in the days when the "Coop bank" was part of the Coop. If
that were so, they might want to "sanitise" the domain for a long
period of time rather than have people fetch up at either the Coop
proper, or the now completely separate "Co-operative Bank".

That kind of sanitisation would contrast with, say, the way in which
lloydstsb.co.uk gets treated. Here, the old domain is still
functionally identical to lloydsbank.co.uk even though the TSB part
of Lloyds TSB was spun off years ago into tsb.co.uk.

¹ Their selling point back in the 1980s was free current account
  banking for clubs and societies, something the commercial banks
  charged for. And they even gave you giant cheque books (for
  multiple signatories).

Cheers,
David.