Re: cooperative.co.uk has address 127.0.0.1

On Wed, Jan 19, 2022 at 01:36:30PM +0000, Richmond wrote:
It doesn't seem like an appropriate use of the address to me, and I
stared in disbelief when I saw it, thinking something had gone wrong.

This is unlikely to be an explanation for cooperative.co.uk, but it used
to be fashionable to register a vanity domain, set an A record to
127.0.0.1, set the AAAA record to a valid IPv6 address from which you
connect to an IRC network, set the AAAA rdns record to match, and then
you appear on IRC as your chosen vanity host. If you get into an
argument with someone on IRC (perhaps more common for the types of
people who go about setting this up) and the other end decides to packet
flood you, if they aren't careful they'll direct their packet cannons at
127.0.0.1.

--
Please do not CC me for listmail.

👱🏻	Jonathan Dowland