Re: Please take this as constructive

On 2022-01-18 01:47, R. Toby Richards wrote:

> Every time that I search for solutions to my wifi drivers, the solution
> is to apt-get install a bunch of drivers. Why does nobody realize that
> apt'ing anything is a non-solution: How can I apt-get install <network
> drivers> if I don't have network drivers? There are DOZENS of responses
> to questions about network drivers that say to apt-get install various
> packages without any thought to the fact that nobody can apt without
> first having network drivers. It's seriously starting to **** me off.
> I've got computers with Broadcom wifi. How the heck am I going to fix
> that by using networking to download the gosh darn drivers to fix the
> networking that I don't have? Of the dozens of "solutions" that I've
> read about this, NOBODY ever thinks about how to fix the network driver
> without having a network driver.
>
> Do I know how to use sneakernet? Yes. In my young adulthood, email was
> dialing into a BBS that would then dial the next closest free telephone
> call to another BBS, and so forth until your message from California got
> to the East Coast. Days. I remember trucks with huge spools of
> punch-cards that were data for the mainframe.
>
> When I try to use sneakernet to overcome the networking issues then I
> get errors from dpkg that it can't install debs because ldconfig and
> start-stop-daemon aren't available. I haven't bothered searching for the
> debs that provide those things because I cannot use a deb to fix dpkg
> because dpkg doesn't function.

Because you don't install package by using dpkg on the installer cd.

Install your system with missing firmware then use dpkg.

What you can do is to get the firmware on a machine with Internet access
and then copy them to a USB key, insert the USB key when prompted by the
installer and it will use the .bw file needed.

This is how to feed binary firmware to the installer.

You don't install package inside the shell of the installer before
installing the base system on your hard drive.

This is in addition to my last message because seems like I got it
late... You are trying to run dpkg from the installer shell.

For sure it will fail, there's no services management in the proper
sense and even if it would work, all you done would be lost.

(Someone else please give better explanation than I do because I'm a bit
lost trying to explain this in a two sentence where there's so much to
explain and give a complete class on "this is not how things work" and
the install process).

You can also learn how to build your full system using another computer
connected on Internet and using chroot + deb-bootstrap).

Read the documentation on deb-bootstrap and you'll better understand the
install process.

> The catch-22's are endless. In my case, I need Broadcom drivers. I can't
> get b43 over the network. I can't use sneakernet for b43 debs because
> dpkg doesn't work (let alone finding all the dependencies and
> dependencies of dependencies and so forth).
>
> Now what?

Now you'll learn how the install system work, the question of binary
blob distribution right (exclusive) and be a better system manager...

All by solving your Broadcom card problem.

PS: Buy a directly supported card.

--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside