Re: /usr/share/calendar.usholiday

deloptes <emanoil.kotsev@deloptes.org> writes:
> And if you look into the file, you see it has no years associated with the
> date, so it doesn't matter when it was written unless there was a change
> in
> the official holidays in the US.

	Correct.  I see two types of date references, exact dates
such as Christmas and New-year's and rule-based dates which are
some designated day such as the second Monday in a given month,
what the British refer to as a "bank holiday."

	My original question about this file has been answered in
a round-about way in that there are also two types of holidays.
St. Valentines day, for example, is not a postal or bank holiday
but one will certainly get in deep trouble on the home or
romantic front if that day is forgotten.

	Also days like Arbor Day are a nice idea but nothing
about normal commerce or daily activities changes

	I also noticed that today in the United States should be
marked but hasn't been yet.  It is the third Monday in January
which, since 1986 has been the official recognition of
the birthday of a US civil rights leader, Martin Luther King Jr.

	The entry in that file probably should read:

01/MonThird	Martin Luther King Birthday (3rd Monday of January)

	It is now a major holiday and schools and government
offices are usually closed so it should probably be there.

	Thanks to all and sorry if I created  any confusion about
the path.

Martin McCormick.