Re: /usr/share/calendar.usholiday

On Sun, Jan 16, 2022 at 09:58:11PM -0600, Martin McCormick wrote:
> There's a stale version of this file on my system that reflects
> when Debian was installed but it brings a question to mind.

The one in the Subject: header?  Are you sure that's the correct
path for this file?

On Debian 11, I have the file /usr/share/calendar/calendar.usholiday
which is a different path from the one you showed.

unicorn:~$ ls -ld /usr/share/calendar/calendar.usholiday
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1418 Mar 23  2021 /usr/share/calendar/calendar.usholiday
unicorn:~$ dpkg -S /usr/share/calendar/calendar.usholiday
calendar: /usr/share/calendar/calendar.usholiday

> 	Does this file simply cause messages to appear on an
> event calendar or can it be used along with crontab in some way
> to either cause or prevent cron jobs from running if a date
> matches one of the dates in the file?

I'd imagine it's used by the "calendar" program in the calendar package.
The string "calendar.usholiday" appears in the calendar(1) man page, in
an example, as well as in the FILES section.

> 	Right now, I don't think this file is doing a thing as it
> is for 2017 but this is why I am asking.

What version of Debian are you using, and where do you see 2017?