Re: strange file query

On 17/01/2022 10:07, ghe2001 wrote:
Looking at your link to Wikipedia, it does indeed seem to have something to do with Mesa (there's a paragraph in there about 'shader').  But I've never heard of Mesa, and I certainly didn't install it.
This sounds like one vote for deletion.  Or maybe .8 votes :-)

No. Leave well enough alone. Mesa is a core part of the graphics stack. Heaps of Debian applications use OpenGL for hardware-accelerated graphics rendering. Shaders are tiny programs that run on your GPU. If you delete this cache, it will likely be recreated, or Bad Things May Happen.

You will have many Mesa libraries installed as dependencies:

dpkg -l "*mesa*"

On my system (sid), this removes 100 packages (note "-s" to simulate), including xserver-xorg!:

apt-get purge -s -V libglapi-mesa

There are likely other direct dependencies.

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben@transient.nz>
Director