Re: Multiple 7zip extract

On Sun, Jan 16, 2022 at 02:48:00PM -0600, David Wright wrote:
> You obviously meant something else by "Every extracted file must be in
> the same directory" from the literal meaning that I employed.

Yes, the wording is quite ambiguous.

> "My problem is extracting 7z files … into their own directories."
>
> I can't parse this either.

The original request has at least three possible interpretations.
Let's assume that they've got a directory structure like this:

TOPLEVEL/dir1
        /dir2
             /sub1
             /sub2
        /dir3

So, there are 5 directories (not counting TOPLEVEL): 3 at depth 1 below
TOPLEVEL, and 2 at depth 2 below TOPLEVEL.  Let's assume there are *.7z
files in all 5 of these directories.

The first interpretation is "I want all of the extracted files in TOPLEVEL".
That's how I read it at first.  That's the interpretation which leads to
all of the output files being in the same directory, after all.

The second interpretation is "I want the extracted files from
TOPLEVEL/dir1/foo.7z to be in TOPLEVEL/dir1, and the extracted files from
TOPLEVEL/dir2/sub1/bar.7z to be in TOPLEVEL/dir2/sub1, and so on."

Given the second quoted statement above, I believe they want the second
interpretation.

A lot of responders in this thread seemed to assume that from the outset,
hence the suggestions involving -execdir, which only makes sense under
the second interpretation.

For the record, given the second interpretation, I agree that find -execdir
is a perfect fit.

Now, there's at least a third possible interpretation.  It's possible that
given the source file TOPLEVEL/dir2/sub2/baz.7z, they would like to create
the depth 3 directory TOPLEVEL/dir2/sub2/baz and then extract baz.7z into
that new directory.

There could be other valid interpretations as well.  The only way we'll
ever know for sure what the OP wants is if the OP gives an actual example,
with pathnames.  Ideally the real pathnames, but we all know that won't
happen....