Re: Re: XEN domU: Guest Rx stalled, unreachable

Hi Felix,

It looks to me like a change in one of the systemd or udev packages in vm-sid is causing the trouble here. In my experience with Debian, the networking startup stuff is not so straightforward, but I do know that systemd and udev are the software components responsible for setting up the network and responding to networking events such as plugging in an ethernet cable or turning on wifi. So I would look in the changelogs of the systemd and udev packages that were updated and see if you can get a clue on what might have changed to break your networking startup configuration. For example, if your network is setup using /etc/network/interfaces and ifup at startup and the systemd configuration changed so that the ifup script that reads /etc/network/interfaces are no longer called correctly at startup, then your network interface would not be brought up automatically at startup. In my experience, once when I changed some packages the network interface name changed and that caused my network interface to not come up properly at startup. To fix it, I had to tweak the systemd configuration.
All the best,

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

pointing me at /etc/network/interfaces guided me exactly in the right direction.
A udev update changed the interface name for virtual network devices from "eth0" to "enX0" (using persistent block device naming scheme), but /etc/network/interfaces still contained an entry to bring eth0 up only, which subsequently failed. Changing /etc/network/interfaces to bring up "enX0" instead solved the problem.
Bug is reported against udev package, suggesting postinst script should change /etc/network/interfaces entries.

Thanks a lot for your kind reply, which was exactly on point!

Best regards,
Felix