Re: Bullseye default swap partition size?

On Du, 09 ian 22, 08:58:35, John Conover wrote:
> Andrew M.A. Cater writes:
> > On Sat, Jan 08, 2022 at 08:54:43AM -0800, John Conover wrote:
> > >
> > > I just installed Bullseye, using default "use entire disk" as the HD
> > > configuration from the Graphical Install option on a Live USB SD.
> > >
> > > The swap partition size installed on the HD is 1 GB.
> > >
> > > Buster, etc., used to be about the size of memory, (8 GB in my case,)
> > > for the swap partition size.
> > >

> > Changed with Bullesye as the default. Rarely, if ever,will a system with
> > a significant amount of memory hit swap so 2x memory is probably overkill
> > Hibernation on a laptop is  the only thing that might be affected, I think,
> > and even then,m that's generally to a file rather than generic swap.
>
> What I was concerned about is the caching pushing the machine into
> memory overflow. Is the caching LRU gets replaced? What about mmap(2)
> used by many encryption/signature programs for file access pushing the
> the machine into memory overflow when cached, etc.?

I'd reword Andy's "a system with a significant amount of memory" to
something like "unless the system is seriously RAM constrained".

$ free -m
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:           3938        1481         984         277        1472        2150
Swap:          2047           0        2047

$ /sbin/swapon -s
Filename				Type		Size	Used	Priority
/dev/zram0                             	partition	524284	0	100
/dev/zram1                             	partition	524284	0	100
/dev/zram2                             	partition	524284	0	100
/dev/zram3                             	partition	524284	0	100

This is an ARM64 laptop running LXDE with two instances of
xfce4-terminal each with its own tmux (one of them running two instances
of neomutt), plus Firefox with lots of tabs (admittedly most of them
inactive -- 20 or so active tabs is the usability limit) everything
running from a 32GB USB stick.

The electricity consumption is probably minimal, so I never bothered
with hibernating, I only let lightdm turn of the screen when it's not in
use.

Kind regards,
Andrei