Re: Bullseye default swap partition size?

On 08.01.22 17:54, John Conover wrote:

I just installed Bullseye, using default "use entire disk" as the HD
configuration from the Graphical Install option on a Live USB SD.

The swap partition size installed on the HD is 1 GB.

Buster, etc., used to be about the size of memory, (8 GB in my case,)
for the swap partition size.

Is there a reason for such small default swap partition size on a 1 TB
HD in Bullseye that I don't know about?

     Thanks,

     John

It might be easy to add a partition for swap now during installation, observe over time if you indeed need it, and maybe later purge it and add the free space to some other partition. It might be difficult to start without a swap partition, but then realize over time that you need it and getting headaches from where to free space for it.

My decision on a Laptop with 8GB RAM was to have a swap partition with 8.5 GB RAM, so that I can hibernate to it (8 GB needed for the RAM) and having a little bit space extra for the hibernation if there would have been swapped data already. In my system I never observe neither swapping nor system performance issues, using it for heavy working in the GUI environment. I configured swapping with the following parameters to have the system right away knowing that I do not want it to swap, although in an emergency it would not be forbidden:
file:   /etc/sysctl.d/99-myextraconfig.conf
# 1 = minimum swap activity, but not fully disabled as 0 would do it
# so, still helping to avoid running out of RAM
vm.swappiness = 1
# prefer inode/dentry cache to other caches for finding files faster
# (default=100)
vm.vfs_cache_pressure=25

Best wishes,
Marco