Re: OT: Recommendation for a new Debian laptop

On 2022-01-15 17:13, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
On Mi, 12 ian 22, 08:54:50, john doe wrote:
Debians,

i've been using a laptop for a fiew years now and before this laptop
dies on me I would like to buy a new laptop.

I'm thinking about two options:
- Buying something of the shelph and installing Debian on it
- Buying a pine64 or alike
- Any other alternative?

The only requirement is to have virtualisation available.

Basically, I'm looking for some feedback to have a laptop with Debian on it.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Since you didn't mention any kind of budget constraints, you might want
to consider Thinkpads (previously IBM, now Lenovo).

The build quality is generally high (especially for the more expensive
series, like T) and you get detailed manuals on how to take it apart for
upgrades or repairs.

Compatibility with Linux is also generally very good and there are even
some models that come with Linux pre-installed.

Many Linux developers like them as well (not least because of the very
good keyboards) which only helps with compatibility.

If price is a concern, even second-hand / refurbished Thinkpads usually
provide good value for the money.

Hope this helps,
Andrei

Just be aware that current Thinkpad compatibility isn't what it was in the past. I am a long-time Thinkpad user (I *think* I started with the T40, not sure anymore) and with the latest models I have had some issues (mostly with external displays). Some were solvable with effort, some not.

I do not include the well-known problems with fingerprint readers in this. Those I knew about up front, so that was my own choice.

Grx HdV