Re: OT: Recommendation for a new Debian laptop

On Saturday 15 January 2022 11:13:49 am Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Mi, 12 ian 22, 08:54:50, john doe wrote:
> > Debians,
> >
> > i've been using a laptop for a fiew years now and before this laptop
> > dies on me I would like to buy a new laptop.
> >
> > I'm thinking about two options:
> > - Buying something of the shelph and installing Debian on it
> > - Buying a pine64 or alike
> > - Any other alternative?
> >
> > The only requirement is to have virtualisation available.
> >
> > Basically, I'm looking for some feedback to have a laptop with Debian on it.
> >
> > Any suggestion is appreciated.
>
> Since you didn't mention any kind of budget constraints, you might want
> to consider Thinkpads (previously IBM, now Lenovo).
>
> The build quality is generally high (especially for the more expensive
> series, like T) and you get detailed manuals on how to take it apart for
> upgrades or repairs.
>
> Compatibility with Linux is also generally very good and there are even
> some models that come with Linux pre-installed.
>
> Many Linux developers like them as well (not least because of the very
> good keyboards) which only helps with compatibility.
>
> If price is a concern, even second-hand / refurbished Thinkpads usually
> provide good value for the money.
>

> Hope this helps,
> Andrei

I'll second this.

I had a "refurbished" Thinkpad that I used rather extensively for _six years_ before something went wrong with it and gave me a "system board error".  No issues with running linux on it at all,  though I was running Slackware at the time.

-
M Dakin