Re: How to rotate then save a PDF document?

On Thu 13 Jan 2022 at 19:44:23 (+0100), Siard wrote:
> David Wright wrote:
> > Finally, using a GUI doesn't scale well. [...] Clicking one's way round
> > a GUI can't compete.

> But GIMP works with raster images, so
> everything that is vectorized, including text, is transformed to a rasterized
> image, causing loss of sharpness and a drastic increase in file size.
> So GIMP is just not suitable for this purpose.

That's right, and is what I wanted to illustrate, rather
than just contradicting the post that suggested it. And
in pictures, as well as with the CPU/size statistics.

> The GUI is not the problem here.

No, not for the OP, who only has one document to rotate.
But who wants to repeat « File→Open, Image→Rotate, 90°,
OK, Export » a thousand times, even when you're operating
on an appropriate object, like a photograph. That's what
scripting is for.

For example, until bullseye, xzgv (picture viewer) didn't
honour the orientation tag, so to make it easier to show
pictures without having to press r occasionally, I would
create a shadow directory containing mainly symlinks to
the real directory, but replacing the link to any misoriented
picture with a rotated copy of the original. So easily done,
no matter how many pictures, with a script calling
jpegexiforient and convert; but so tedious with a GUI.

That's why I added the footnote that the method loses its
charm when someone else tries to scale it up to a large
number of documents.

Cheers,
David.