Re: still fixing stuff the upgrade broke...

On Thursday 06 January 2022 12:05:38 pm David wrote:
> > I did an upgrade from 8 -> 9,  and that's where things are sitting at the moment.
> > I've been encouraged to get with current stable,  which is what,  11 at this point?
>
> > I'll get there, but slowly, so I can see what's changed at each step of the process
> > and fix that which ends up broken.

So.

> My two cent opinion (after reading all your messages about this process):
> This is not the best approach. A waste of your time, and a waste of our time
> reading, and slightly unpleasant if we have to filter out your dissatisfaction
> at each hurdle.

If you find my posts unpleasant to deal with,  feel free to skip them,  or filter them out completely.  There is that option listed at the bottom of every groups.io message that says "mute this topic"...

> Many of the people here who advised you to migrate 8..9..10..11
> (because that is the only way to migrate) are professional system
> administrators whose livelihood depends on keeping complex
> services available to their clients.
>
> For a home user (I am one), this stepwise upgrade seems like a waste
> of time, unless your hobby is complaining about things that don't work.

You are of course entitled to your opinion of my choices.  In terms of system administration,  *I* am that person here,  and there is a level of functionality and a workflow that I want to have continuously maintained during the upgrade process.  My circumstances are obvously not yours.  And my choices are not yours as well.

> In your situation, I would keep the previous system untouched and runnable
> somewhere, and create a fresh Debian 11 somewhere else, and migrate
> the desired workflow, tools and configuration onto it at my leisure.

Right.  That's one way to do it,  all right.  Not my choice here,  for a number of reasons.

(snip)
> complaining about old software looks ridiculous,
> and risks alienating people from caring or wanting to help you.

Then feel free to ignore and to not respond to my posts,  if you feel that way.

> Some info on how Debian expects to be used:
>   https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian

Read that,  yesterday or the day before.

> > I've been nudged more than once to continue with my upgrades to
> > bring things up to the current stable version,  but am still not sure
> > I want to go there in one swell foop. Too many changes, and things
> > that aren't right.
>
> People aren't nudging you to go through a tortuous 8..9..10..11
> upgrade process. People are simply recommending that, if you
> want to use Debian, that you use the latest stable, 11.
> How you get there is your choice.

Just so.  I've made my choice,  and am proceeding on that basis.

All:  Please don't cc replies to me to my direct email.  I *do* have this list flowing in here,  and I *do* read the messages...

-
M Dakin