Re: still fixing stuff the upgrade broke...

On Fri, 7 Jan 2022 at 02:39, Roy J. Tellason, Sr. <roy@rtellason.com> wrote:

Hi Roy,

You sound unhappy to me. Unhappiness can often be caused by a
mismatch between expectations and reality. I try to offer you some
advice based on years of reading this list ...

> > Going by the version number, that looks like it's from 2020.  Are you
> > not running the current stable release of Debian?

> No,  I'm not.

[...]

> I did an upgrade from 8 -> 9,  and that's where things are sitting at the moment.
> I've been encouraged to get with current stable,  which is what,  11 at this point?

> I'll get there, but slowly, so I can see what's changed at each step of the process
> and fix that which ends up broken.

My two cent opinion (after reading all your messages about this process):
This is not the best approach. A waste of your time, and a waste of our time
reading, and slightly unpleasant if we have to filter out your dissatisfaction
at each hurdle.

Many of the people here who advised you to migrate 8..9..10..11
(because that is the only way to migrate) are professional system
administrators whose livelihood depends on keeping complex
services available to their clients.

For a home user (I am one), this stepwise upgrade seems like a waste
of time, unless your hobby is complaining about things that don't work.

In your situation, I would keep the previous system untouched and runnable
somewhere, and create a fresh Debian 11 somewhere else, and migrate
the desired workflow, tools and configuration onto it at my leisure.

This approach will be more relaxed, and any learning involved will actually
be useful. People here will support it.

> > As far as running your chirp20220103 version, seeing the errors might be
> > helpful.  I'm not a python expert myself, but I'd be willing to bet that
> > someone on this list would be able to advise you if we could see the
> > actual error message.

[...]

> It was missing the python-serial package, which installing the older
> version in synaptic got me,  so it's working now.

> But the version that synaptic installed was from 2018!
> That one isn't going to support this radio,  which is a tri-bander,
> hence my move to the current version...

If you are deliberately choosing to run not only Debian, but
_ancient_ Debian, complaining about old software looks ridiculous,
and risks alienating people from caring or wanting to help you.

On Thu, 6 Jan 2022 at 16:59, Roy J. Tellason, Sr. <roy@rtellason.com> wrote:

> (Why the repository can't be more up to date than that I don't know.)

This right here is the problem. The "I don't know" bit.
Fix that knowledge gap, or be forever unhappy.

Hint: "be more up to date" is not a primary goal of the Debian project.
Complaining won't change that.
If you want that, use a different distribution.

Some info on how Debian expects to be used:
  https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian

> I've been nudged more than once to continue with my upgrades to
> bring things up to the current stable version,  but am still not sure
> I want to go there in one swell foop. Too many changes, and things
> that aren't right.

People aren't nudging you to go through a tortuous 8..9..10..11
upgrade process. People are simply recommending that, if you
want to use Debian, that you use the latest stable, 11.
How you get there is your choice.