Re: reduce size of debian-live-11.1.0-amd64-xfce+nonfree.iso installation

On 1/6/22 6:41 AM, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
On Tue, Jan 04, 2022 at 06:37:53PM -0800, David Christensen wrote:
debian-user

I installed debian-live-11.1.0-amd64-xfce+nonfree.iso and updated onto a
amd64 computer for graphical desktop usage (e.g. "daily driver"):

I noted that the install was larger (11+ GB) than previous installs using
*-xfce-CD-1.iso Debian installers (~6 GB).

You've hit a problem: the live DVDs include a whole bunch of "stuff": much of itshould be de-installed on clean up but there are a few changes that stick, I
think - desktop background may be subtly different. The installer is also
prepared by different folk from those in the normal CD/DVD images team.
I don't know exactly what's in there: maybe contact the team responsible
for debian-live?

If you've not got much data copied across yet, I'd suggest a reinstall with
the non-free firmware netinst / DVD as you can control this much better.
If you only want XFCE, then an expert install will enable you to deselect/uncheck Debian graphical environment as you work through. There is no longer an
XFCE install medium on CD - as of Bullseye it became too big to fit.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater

Thank you for the reply and the information.

I will try a fresh install via debian-11.2.0-amd64-netinst.iso.

David