Re: 8 -> 9 update changing things

On Sunday 02 January 2022 09:56:14 pm David Wright wrote:
> On Sat 18 Dec 2021 at 11:24:34 (-0500), Roy J. Tellason, Sr. wrote:
> > On Friday 17 December 2021 11:53:20 am David Wright wrote:
> > Yeah,  except that I don't run KDE.  I do have it installed,  to be able to access certain programs that come with it,  but my desktop environment of choice is currently Xfce.
>
> My understanding is that when you install a package like KDE,
> there's an assumption that you'll probably want to run it, and
> so it configures the system on that basis.

When I first installed I selected multiple different desktop environments,  so I could try them out.  I did not expect that ones that I was not running would have any effect in the one that I was running...

(snip)
> > There remains the sound issue in the virtualbox.  Could it be that Debian isn't running PulseAudio but something else?  That would account for the guest OS not being able to talk to it...
>
> No idea; you'd have to check this for yourself. ISTR there may be
> issues with pulseaudio if it's running as a system daemon rather
> than for the logged-in user, but I don't know the details.

Running pulseaudio --start fixed that problem,  but now I show two instances of it runninng.

In the one that was running to start with,  the command line shown to me in system monitor includes "daemonize=no".  I would guess that to be the problem,  but why is that in there?  And where do I fix it?  I also see "parent systemd" and after a bit of poking around in there I'm rather thoroughly confused,  not at all sure where I'd have to fix this.  Although /usr/lib/systemd/user/pulseaudioi.service seems pertinent.  Why would that have "daemonize=no" in there?

-
M Dakin