Re: brltty=huge distraction for folks that don't need it.

You can configure brltty to choose none as the voice and silence that.
Perhaps it's time for debian to have an accessibility task that can be
deselected by those that don't need accessibility yet.  All accessibility
programs that annoy the temporarily able could be put into that task and
have it either selected or not.  For those that do need accessibility, it
would be nice if the installer would come up and speak over the sound card
giving the temporarily able the option to turn speech off for the install
like slint has done for the last couple years.  Apple has done this with
Tiger 10.4 and every operating system it released since then.  That's how
I installed and got my mac mini running without any sighted assistance.
If I had seen the screen and answered the question with the keyboard
quickly enough, the speech would never have turned on at all.