Re: brltty=huge distraction for folks that don't need it.

On Sunday, January 2, 2022 5:58:44 PM EST Pierre-Elliott Bécue wrote:
> gene heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote on 02/01/2022 at 23:53:19+0100:
> > Greetings All;
> >
> > Without any conscious prompting by me, te debian 11.1 netinstall for
> > x86-64 systems installed and setup whatever was needed to bring the
> > screen reader to life.
> >
> > Any thing related to a braile function that I try to remove wants to
> > kill
> > another 2 or 3 gigs of system with it.
> >
> > Quite distracting to a sighted user when that robotic voice, speaking a
> > very broken bandwidth of what might be english, blaring out of ones
> > speakers 20 db louder than firefoxes audio can I am sure, find a way to
> > silence this w/o destroying the rest of the system. Removing orca will
> > shut it up, but that leaves brltty spamming the daemon.log complaining
> > about a missing library every 5 seconds.  And that's close to 40
> > megabytes a week.
> >
> > So, how does one shut up this useless to me, screen-reader and kill the
> > log spamming at the same time?
> >
> > I think its great that folks have gone to that effort for the sightless,
> > but why is that sort of stuff always made mandatory.
> >
> > I'd sure appreciate any help cleaning it out
> >
> > Thanks everybody.
>
> Removing brltty will only lead to the removal of its reverse
> dependencies and so on. This stops at:
>
> * brltty-espeak
> * brltty-flite
> * brltty-speechd
> * brltty-x11
>
> None of which you need.

That wasn't the end of the dependencies.  There were 4 more I removed and
had to kill 2 of them in memory with htop once they were removed, but the
log is finally silent.

Thank you. Both for the help, and for learning my language so well.

> Theoretically, removing brltty and orca takes little with it.

The first time I tried to remove brltty, the removal cascaded all the way up
thru all of gnome and xorg. Scary.

> I don't have brltty installed on neither my bullseye nor my unstable
> installs.
>
> Regards,

Cheers, Pierre-Elliott Bécue, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis