Re: having high cpu problem related to kernel version

On Fri, Dec 31, 2021, 4:27 PM _ djdisodo <djdisodo@gmail.com> wrote:
note that i'm using debian sid and xfce4

it shows full of red bars on htop on one of the core between two(i
have atom n455 cpu)
iirc red bars means kernel threads

i've tested using debian's boot menu so only thing changed is kernel version
it was fine on kernel 5.10 it's happening on kernel 5.14 and 5.15

i don't know exactly how to represent, but it isn't hard to if i just
do something like browsing or reading pdf it just starts to happen and
never stops even after i close all apps or log out

https://asciinema.org/a/xTXqyZhg06enfrcHbuhasGJrm
https://asciinema.org/a/y0klCFDWSOsjjAQTUHlHM84mq

1st link is when it's fine(right after boot)

2nd link is when it happens

there is no difference on application running between two

xserver is unrelated it's high cpu usage is just because of more
updates on htop screen

And I think to get a better reading of the system state, you have to reduce the frequency of htop updates. Say down to every 3 or 4 secs to start.

I don't see what you see in the video recordings you stored. Maybe because the top of the screen image you recorded seems to get corrupted towards the end of the video. But htop itself is taking 15% of a CPU by then.

if i watch htop on ctrl+alt+f1 terminal xserver isn't even on the
first page but htop still shows high cpu usage

https://asciinema.org/a/l81ZO3hSHbA4jLm6fwLlIrfUS
recorded on ctrl+alt+f1 terminal
ran htop as root and enabled to show kernel threads
tho cpu usage of kernel threads aren't being displayed