Re: How to cause a process started in .xsessionrc to terminate with x-session termination?

Have you considered using my suggestion?  Put these two lines in .xsession:

. /etc/X11/Xsession
pkill unison

Keep your .xsessionrc which starts the unison program.  (Or you could
move it here, later, but for now I'm simply trying to do the bare
minimum needed to achieve a working setup.)

That is even worse. I see that ~/.xsession is invoked from etc/X11/Xsession (indirectly by calling /etc/X11/Xsession.d/50x11-common_determine-startup)
and after .xsessionrc (called prior from /etc/X11/Xsession.d/40x11-common_xsessionrc) so I ended-up with hundreds of unison instances instead of new X session.

But it is not so bad: I learned about X11 starting process so will be able to analyze it and invent something. So thanks a lot :)

> Started with "exec" according to Debian documentation:
> https://wiki.debian.org/Xsession

You're cargo-culting stuff with zero understanding.  That's not going
to help.

If you don't know how shell scripts work, if you don't know what the
"exec" command does... then this is going to be quite difficult for you.

Too far-reaching assumption. Only the second part about the "exec" was right :) Now I know about the exec too.