Re: Update Debian 9 to Debian 11

On Tue, 16 Nov 2021 19:39:56 +0200
Thanos Katsiolis <kls.thanos@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am a new user of Debian, and I have access to a PC that currently
> runs Debian 9.13.
> I want to update to a more recent version, since that is what is
> generally suggested, and for compatibility reasons too. Before I do
> the update, I have some questions.

Since you are new to Debian, be aware that "upgrade" means installing
newer software over/in addition to the existing installation. The
alternative is a fresh installation. "Update" is ambiguous in this
context.

Either way you get to do a bit of configuration as you go. How
much depends on how much of the present configuration you want to keep
vs. start over.

>    1. Which version should I prefere, Debian 10 or 11 (I am asking
> because Debian 11 are very recent)?

I recommend 11. I've been running it here (fresh installations) with no
major issues. And it will be that much longer before you have to go
through this again.

>    2. Does dual boot affect the update somehow?

If you do a fresh installation, yes, a bit. Just be careful which
partitions you play with during the installation so you don't
accidentally clobber the other OS(es).

>    3. What should I consider (if anything) during the update?

If you do an upgrade, you'll be confronted with configuration files,
and have to decide between the new version from the package and the one
already installed. Either way, the other is preserved and you can go
back to it. I usually install the package version, and then edit any
local changes in from the preserved earlier version.

If you do a fresh installation, be sure to back everything up,
especially /etc (configuration files) and /home (user data), and
probably other places.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com