Re: preseeding Bullseye

On 11/14/2021 6:34 PM, Brian wrote:
On Sun 14 Nov 2021 at 10:54:38 -0600, David Wright wrote:

On Sun 14 Nov 2021 at 08:14:49 (+0000), André Rodier wrote:
On 14/11/2021 07:39, john doe wrote:
On 11/13/2021 5:39 PM, André Rodier wrote:
No, it does not work, it's still stuck on the same screen.

The solution that worked for me was to add it as a boot parameter.

For the record, there is also this note in the Installation Guide:

   In order to easily avoid the questions that would normally appear
   before the preseeding occurs, you can start the installer in “auto”
   mode. This delays questions that would normally be asked too early
   for preseeding (i.e. language, country and keyboard selection) until
   after the network comes up, thus allowing them to be preseeded. It
   also runs the installation at critical priority, which avoids many
   unimportant questions. See Section B.2.3 for details.

A good FTR. However, when I tried this a few years ago it didn't work
for me. Maybe I lacked patience to sort it out properly. That is why
I went to boot parameters for language and keyboard.

The OP does not say how the preseed file is provided to the installer.
My recollection (not checked) is that putting it in the initrd is the
only way of ensuring language and keyboard preseeding from the start
of the installation.

Using PXE booting, I don't have to preseed any of those steps manually
if 'auto=true' is passed as kernel boot parameter.

--
John Doe