Re: why autoremove doesn't work

On Sat 13 Nov 2021 at 06:18:53 (+0000), Long Wind wrote:
> Thanks again!
> here is my /var/log/apt/history.log, many packages are not auto removed
> do you think autoremove option work as promised in apt's manual?

AFAICT, but I haven't looked too deeply, it's Recommends by other
packages that usually cause a problem.

Anyway, here are two scripts. Save them to /tmp, and run with
$ bash why
$ bash remove
as a user. Both may produce a lot of output. The first will tell you
why each package is being kept. The second will pretend that it's
removing them all, and ought to "succeed" if there are no Depends
outside of each other, but only Recommends.

Cheers,
David.