Re: Where do I find the definitive man page for mdadm?

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 12 November 2021 11:57:28 Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
>

> > Use an expert install.
> >
> > set up the disks as RAID 10 first, then use the partition editor to
> > assign the RAID as /home
> >
> > At that point, you're done :)
>
> That will be good, but getting rid of the first raid10 I built is needing
> tactical nukes.  Its taking almost 40 minutes a drive to zero them and
> start over. And this machine is acting like an 8086 machine doing it.
> very very slow. gkrellm is showing all 6 core in bright orange. Not any
> great temp rises though, staying below 35C for all 6 cores. The heat
> sink/radiator is huge, so huge I can't put the side panel back on the
> tower. 5" fan is turning silently at maybe 400 revs. I think I overbuilt
> it ;o)

No need to do it the hard way:

For each disk, run

# wipefs /dev/sdX

which will not destroy anything ; it will list the commands
needed to remove the existing filesystems.

Then run that command, generally of the form wipdefs -o 0x1000
or such, which will complete in seconds.

Repeat for the next disk.

-dsr-