Re: Where do I find the definitive man page for mdadm?

On Friday 12 November 2021 10:37:22 Andy Smith wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 09:22:12AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > mdadm --create --verbose /dem/md0 --level=10 --raid-devices=4
> > /dev/sde /dev/sdf /dev/sdg /dev/sdh
> >
> > should work.
>
> You may want to create identical partitions on each of the devices
> first, and use those instead of the raw unpartitioned devices.
>
> The reason is that there is hardware (primarily motherboards) out
> there that get upset when they see a drive without a partition
> table, and just blindly make one, which corrupts your RAID. There
> are ASRock motherboards which are known to do this at every boot.
>
> Such things are broken of course and ideally would be avoided, but
> having all your drives corrupted isn't a nice way to discover that
> you own one.

yes, makes you want to use the whole maryann for target practice, BTDT,
something I am well equipt to do. All for just moving a drives sata
cable to a different socket on the previous Asus motherboard, and so is
this one, an Asus PRIME Z-370-A-II with a 6 core i5.

> > but once assembled, does it need formatted?
>
> It will be an empty block device like any other. You get to choose
> what filesystem to put on it, or use it however else you might use a
> block device.

Condensing this down bare bones it sounds like I should un-mount it,
format each to ext4 and re-create it just in case.  And should nuke
mdadm.conf before re-creating it.  Correct?

Thanks Andy.

> Cheers,
> Andy

Cheers, Gene Heskett.