Re: libc-bin on one good, on the other report of a bug........

On Fri 12 Nov 2021 at 10:27:53 (+1100), Charlie wrote:

> 	On one of my laptops latest upgrade, Dell Inspiron  "libc-bin"
> 	is fine: Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.31-13+deb11u2) ...
>
> On the other a HP 245 06 laptop it is reported as having a bug:
>
> 	#998008
> Post install makes a working NIS system not to work anymore at every
> point release.
>
> So I place it in irons, on hold, and continue with the upgrade.
>
> I am a peasanto, a man of the land with two laptops, double trouble,
> and trying to understand a NIS system? Running the questions and asking
> for examples through Google. Without any joy of understanding.
>
> Can't get if I will be in trouble if the bug is ignored and this
> happens: "Post install makes a working NIS system not to work anymore at
> every point release."
>
> So ask the wisdom on this list.
>
> Any simple explanations out there, if someone is inclined, for  hoople
> head like myself.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, there's a simple workaround
if this (or isn't) affecting you, and that is to make a trivial
modification to your /etc/nsswitch.conf file. This will force any
upgrade to either refuse to modify the file, or ask to modify it
(which you can refuse). For example, you could add the line:

  # keep this file unchanged

to the file (as root). This will change its MD5, preventing it from
ever matching a previous default's value.

Cheers,
David.