Re: No video after boot

On 12/11/21 08:58, Paul M. Foster wrote:

There's a *more* advanced kernel in backports? I thought backports was for old stuff. And I've never used it, not sure how to do it. The other problem here is that, if I could actually boot, I could update the kernel. But without being able to boot the drive, I can't quite imagine how I'd update the kernel.

Paul

Paul

Briefly, backports is a method of bringing newer stuff into stable, for people who really, really need newer. They are handled by a team who try to ensure that stuff in testing is working well enough that the rest of us should be able to use it with fewer problems than simply running testing.

I thought you were getting a terminal? You said that you have another PC. So

Find a tutorial on adding backports to your sources.list, then how to use backports. I have an alias that installs backports:

sudo apt-get -y install --install-recommends -t bullseye-backports package

The tutorial should explain how to add a line to your sources.list,
# apt update,
apt search linux-image

check for signed images (linux-image-5.14.0-0.bpo.2-amd64/now 5.14.9-2~bpo11+1 amd64 [installed,local] Linux 5.14 for 64-bit PCs (signed)

# apt-get -y install --install-recommends -t bullseye-backports (maybe???) linux-image-5.14.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 from my list of available images

--
All the best

Keith Bainbridge

keithrbaugroups@gmail.com