How to secure access to SD cards a la USBGuard?

Hi all,

I'd like to limit access to (micro) SD cards on our systems to only those cards that have been vetted up front.

At first glance I thought maybe USBGuard would help me do this, but that will only detect built-in or USB-mounted card readers in which the card is plugged, not the storage device itself. Therefore allowing the card reader will automatically allow anyone to access any number of memory cards. That's not what we want for these systems.

Using USBGuard I can (and do) limit access to specific USB devices (including thumbdrives), but it seems I cannot use it to limit access to specific memory cards. For built-in readers I figure that is because the communication is not USB-based. But that would not be the case for USB-based card readers.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can achieve this?

Many thanks in advance!

Grx HdV