Re: [OT, deeply] Guix

On Mon, Nov 8, 2021 at 9:55 AM Curt <curty@free.fr> wrote:
On 2021-11-08, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm not sure I'd call scheme a "plain text". Or do you mean something
> other than the file that commences with:
>
>     (operating-system
>       ;; ...
>
>> > in Debian there is /var/lib/apt/extended_states

I thought plain text meant "a pure sequence of character codes" without
any formatting information attached to it (e.g. HTML) or something. As

Here's the thing. We already have many ways to install debian and any other kind of
linux-like OS in a completely declarative way. We don't need to learn a programming
language to do it. Here are some of those ways:
Saltstack, Puppet, chef, ansible, AWS Cloudformation, XML....
And we're at the point where the upfront learning of those tools pays-off
later EVEN for single servers and desktops. Cause installation can be a pain sometimes,
on slightly oddball platforms especially, your install tool config becomes a backup
mechanism cause your desktop is too big to backup :-) etc. etc.

Why not embrace the monster? Ship debian to be autoconfigged, not installed....
Just thinking out loud :-)