Re: Is "Debian desktop environment" identical to "GNOME" upon installation?

On 11/5/21 4:50 AM, Alejandro Colomar (man-pages) wrote:
Hi,

I did some test by installing 2 identical virtualbox instances (EFI turned on) with the same netinst image <debian-11.1.0-amd64-netinst.iso>.

I typically use XFCE, so I wanted to test if leaving "Debian desktop environment" marked would affect or not my XFCE installation.

It does.

a)
| [ ]  Debian desktop environment
| [*]    XFCE

b)
| [*]  Debian desktop environment
| [*]    XFCE

Using (b), I end up with 12 more installed packages.  I checked that there weren't any available upgrades after installing both (apt-get update && apt-get upgrade showed 0).

The offending list is:

hv3
libsqlite3-tcl
libtcl8.6
libtk-img
libtk8.6
tcl
tcl-tls
tcl8.6
tcllib
tk
tk-html3
tk8.6

Maybe there's a bug somewhere in tasksel?

I consider it Faulty Design.

there is no "Debian desktop environment"... from my superficial testing it is kinda "Gnome Lite"
(and in My Opinion gnome desktop is rather hateful).

Being selected by default is a Huge design flaw.

a simple "select a desktop environment" text message with something like "without a desktop you only get a terminal" as a suggestion for the uninformed would be far superior.

BTW: I only use net-install because I don't want all that cruft.

PS: hunting down all swap partitions on very drive and setting them to Format by default is also a real pain in the tush.

I did some tests running tasksel again after the installation, and were intriguing, but I'll hold the deeper tests for after this is inspected.

Cheers,

Alex