Re: [AMD/ATI graphic chipset][OpenCL] new ROCm 4.5 reportedly easier to install/uninstall

Hello,

- ROCm/Debian 100% broken? I would not say that :-)
 ROCm 4.3 is definitely installable in Debian 11 Bullseye. Here is an
partial english translation of a french user post of the Debian french
user list back in august:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-user-french/2021/08/msg00006.html
 "[...] I had a bit of a hard time deploying the provided ROCm 4.3
binaries by AMD for Ubuntu in a minimal test environment in Bullseye. I
have the impression that there are missing dependencies. It took me a
little while to identify that I was missing libtinfo5 on my machine for
example. Tip: The program /opt/rocm-4.3.0/bin/hipconfig, from the hip-
base package, allows to obtain a fairly detailed assessment of what may
be missing in the installation, or what breaks."

- Kernel versions *supported* by AMD ROCm: in my opinion, *support* is
here a corporate language and is to be understood as *commercial*
*support*. Binaries provided by AMD are for distributions that sell
commercial support. This means, sort of,  AMD guarantees ROCm
functionning in the context of approved versions of approved
distribution vendors. Debian has no paid support, functionning of ROCm
is not homologated.
But that definitely does mean it does not function.

- ROCm 4.5 docs you mention contain instructions to install ROCm 4.5,
including ways to add a ROCm repository in order to install the
binaries via apt. Other ways of installing are explained either.

Good luck :-)