Re: iwd: Using iwd to connect to a wireless network (Part 1 - Connection status show OK but unable to surf the net)

On Thu 30 Sep 2021 at 19:33:45 +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 12:23:45PM -0400, Henning Follmann wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 05:48:19PM +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > > At least that's how I learn.
> > >

> > That is not me.
>
> People tend to be different. That makes things... interesting.

That's the bit where advising a user is folloed by

  How do I copy and paste?

or

  What's a terminal?

Interesting? Ever done user-support?

> > I will not encourage anyone to set themselves up for failure.
> > I might be unpolished, and you expressed before that I am rude.
>
> Wait a sec. If I did that (if you say so I take it at face value)
> please, accept my apologies.
>
> > However I think most people benefit from a realistic point
> > of their own capabilities.
> > I just do not think throwing somebody from a ship in the middle
> > of the ocean and thinking he/she will learn to swim. I rather send
> > them to the kiddie pool, no matter how offended they are.
> >
> > And it is not the case that I do not want them to learn. Quite the
> > opposite is true.
>
> I I wouldn't propose "throwing somebody from a ship". But if
> someone wants to jump, I'd tell them what they can expect
> instead of just telling them "don't do it". And have a lifebuoy
> at hand.

Passenger: I've had enough. I am going to jump.
tomas: Can you swim?
Passenger: No.
tomas: You will drown, but I will throw you a lifebuoy.
Passenger: Will that help?
tomas: Not really. We are in Artic waters. You will succumb to
       hypothermia within minites.
Passenger: Can you help to alleviate that?
tomas: Hold on 10 minutes; I'll get you a duvet.
Passenger: That is very civil of you. Will it keep me alive?
tomas: For a time. But I'll be cold tonight! Don't forget; it's
       my duvet.
Passenge: Does the duvet have the Debian logo on it?
tomas: No, just roses.
Passenge: Do you think you could get one with a petunia pattern?
tomas: This boat does not support such patterns.
Passenge: When I sailed with the Gentoo line they ofered all
          flower patterns.
tomas: The packages they offer to users are different.
Passenger: I wish I had used the default method to connect via
           WiFi to my Debian machine. I am doomed!

[Splash.]

[ tomas wonders whether a more proactive stance could have put
the situation on a more even keel.]

[Exit stage left and right.]

--
Brian.