Re: About User and password on Debian 10

On 9/30/21, ghe2001 <ghe2001@protonmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

If you still can't sign in after trying that suggestion, maybe it's
about a kernel mishap? In that case *for me*, "update-initramfs -u"
usually fixes it IF that also automatically updates a user's boot
manager at the same time.

If it doesn't automatically update the boot manager, that manager
needs run by hand. It occurs to me that just updating the boot manager
alone might fix certain login lock out errors, but I like updating the
initrd.img just because I happen to be in that mindset.

update-initramfs automatically triggers LILO to run for me. For other
Users, that could/might trigger GRUB and friends to also update.

I've been locked out like this before. It happens when I accidentally
copy over a partition's vmlinuz and initrd.img files into a wrong
directory in my LILO hierarchy. Oops!

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey