Re: _INTRODUCTION_ to installing/using Wine?

On Mon 27 Sep 2021 at 14:28:37 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> On 09/26/2021 08:54 AM, piorunz wrote:
> > On 26/09/2021 14:42, Richard Owlett wrote:
> > > I have not used any version of Windows since WinXP and have the AMD64
> > > flavor of Debian 10.7 installed on the relevant machine.
> > >
> > > I wish to do two things:
> > >    1. Explore some text manipulation applications I used then
> > >       (obviously 32 bit apps).
> > >    2. Explore Bible study tools used by others at church
> > >       (32 or 64 bit ???).
> > >
> > > I have found references [1][2] suitable for addressing specific detailed
> > > questions. I'm looking for introductory material -- especially such that
> > > would cause me to think of questions I should consider before proceeding.
> > > Suggestions?
> > > TIA

> > > 2. https://www.winehq.org/
> > >     Goes into much detail but does not have an "overview only" page.
> >
> > After you install Wine (your reference materials covers that), simply
> > execute in terminal "wine name_of_your_exe" from the folder where .exe is.
> >
> > That's all.
>
> I *DOUBT* it as:
>   1. I'm well past "three score and ten" ;}

Of what possible relevance is that? There are other users who use the
same argument, often giving extensive excrutiating biographical details.

A user may doubt the advice given, but I thought piorunz's helpful post
deserved a less ageist response.

>   2. [1] explicitly states:
>      > Users on a 64-bit system should make sure that both wine32
>      > and wine64 (...) are installed ...
>
> Careful reading of [1] and [2] {w/apologies to J. Caesar} suggests:
>   " All .exe are divided into three flavors:
>       1. pure 32 bit
>       2. pure 64 bit
>       3. pure hodgepodge
>   "
> >
> > If something doesn't work, install required components using winetricks.
> > Simply install package winetricks, open it, and navigate graphically to
> > install .Net Frameworks, C++ redistributables and whatever else your
> > Windows app needs to operate.
>
> Is not that paragraph sufficient justification for my question?

Without a doubt it is.

--
Brian.