Re: Privacy and defamation of character on Debian public forums

On Friday, September 24, 2021 01:55:41 PM Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:

> Can I suggest you read the FAQ posted to this list monthly by me.

> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2021/09/msg00006.html is the latest

> copy.

> The last point about deleting emails and personal details is relevant,

> here, I think.

I am not the OP, but I went ahead an re-read part of that today. Re this part:

<quote>

* One question that comes up on almost all Debian lists from time to time is of

the form:

"I have done something wrong / included personal details in an email.

Could you please delete my name / details / remove the mail"

Practically, this is impossible: the mailing lists are archived, potentially

cached by Google and so on. Unfortunately, there is nothing much we can do to

ensure that all copies anywhere on the Internet are deleted. Asking to do this

may only serve to draw further attention - the so-called "Streisand effect"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

</quote>
My question though is, can emails be deleted from the debian archive of the mailing list (and comments from the debian bug list?)?
Thanks!