Re: Privacy and defamation of character on Debian public forums

On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 01:37:45PM -0400, Chuck Zmudzinski wrote:
> On 9/24/2021 8:04 AM, Brad Rogers wrote:
> > On Fri, 24 Sep 2021 07:45:03 -0400
> > Chuck Zmudzinski <brchuckz@netscape.net> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Chuck,
> >
> > > happened to me, but I would not be surprised
> > > if in the U.S. eventually Debian will get sued
> > > unless it scrubs its website of some of the
> > In the USA, Section 230 covers this;  Debian can't be held liable for
> > comments made by others using their systems.
> >

> However, if Debian refuses to remove defamatory comments,
> perhaps Debian could be held liable if Debian refuses to remove
> comments at a person's request if the comments truly harm a
> person's good reputation and, for example, destroys a person's
> ability to get a job in software development, or anywhere else
> for that matter. Who would hire me if they read what is now
> being said about me by Andy Smith, et. al. on Debian's web
> pages. If Debian wants to be sure to avoid such a lawsuit,
> I think Debian should remove at least some comments to
> completely avoid legal liability. I am sure I could find a lawyer
> in the U.S. to try it if I wanted to.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chuck

Hello Chuck,

Can I suggest you read the FAQ posted to this list monthly by me.

https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2021/09/msg00006.html is the latest
copy.

The last point about deleting emails and personal details is relevant, here,
I think.

With every good wish, as ever,

Andrew Cater