Re: LTS versions - confusion

On 2021-09-14 at 16:33, Tanstaafl wrote:

> On 9/13/2021 11:02 AM, Brian wrote
>
>> On Mon 13 Sep 2021 at 10:18:54 -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> So, I'm considering Debian for a new homebrew MX gateway I want
>>> to set up, but it depends...
>>>
>>> I'm a former Gentoo user, and really appreciated the rolling
>>> release aspect, since it meant no huge jumps between LTS releases
>>> with other distros.
>>
>> About the closest in Debian to this concept is the unstable
>> distribution (sid).
>
> Hmmm... ok, so, I could run sid 'forever', as long as I keep it
> updated regularly?

In theory you could, but in practice it would break well before that.

I used to track sid on my primary computer; the system developed warts
and instabilities under my feet, became partly broken and if not
irreparable then at least more trouble to repair than the benefit would
have been worth, and drove me to build a replacement computer to migrate
away from the broken setup.

The guiding principle of running a system that tracks sid is "if it
breaks, you get to keep all the pieces".

It is NEVER advisable to track sid on a computer you're not willing to
blow away and reinstall on demand if necessary. (As distinct from
installing specific selected packages from sid on a case-by-case basis -
but be careful even about that, as the dependencies of those packages
might pull in enough other things to lead to a hybrid Debian system and
potentially break things.)

I would advise against tracking sid on any computer other than one
you're running specifically to contribute to the process of testing the
contents of sid before they migrate into testing.

> Anyone do this for important (maybe not 'mission critical') servers?

I certainly hope not. (And am mildly horrified that someone who posts as
much good advice here as I believe I've seen from Brian has said that he
does.)

--
   The Wanderer