Re: copy directory tree, mapping to new owners

On 14/09/21 6:50 pm, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
On Tue, Sep 14, 2021 at 12:17:05PM +1200, Richard Hector wrote:
On 13/09/21 7:04 pm, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
>On Mon, Sep 13, 2021 at 11:45:02AM +1200, Richard Hector wrote:
>>On 12/09/21 6:52 pm, john doe wrote:
>
>[...]
>
>>>If you are doing this in a script, I would use a temporary directory.
>>>That way, in case of failure the destination directory is not rongly
>>>modified.
>>>
>>>EG:
>>>
>>>$ rsync <src-dir> <tmp-dir>
>>>
>>>Make <tmp-dir> the way you want it to be.
>>>
>>>$ rsync <tmp-dir> <dest-dir>
>>
>>That is true, but firstly it would require more available space [...]
>
>This isn't necessary, as you could replace the second `rsync' by a `mv'
>(provided your temp tree is on the same storage volume as your target
>dir, that is).

I was assuming the suggestion was to rsync the source to the temp
while the destination still exists, before rsyncing or mv'ing over
the top of it. Total of 3 copies (temporarily) rather than 2.

Then, it's different. But in your scenario you would probably want
to take down whatever "service" relies on the destination dir while
the copy is in progress.

This is all academic, since rsync with --usermap and --groupmap does what I want, in place.

But john doe's proposal had the rationale of "That way, in case of failure the destination directory is not rongly modified."

That implies the destination is staying put. Well, I guess deleting it entirely avoids "wrongly modifying" it too :-)

In any case, if you haven't the space, you haven't it. Sysadmin's
life ain't always nice :)

It's available if I want it; everything is on LVM. It's easy to grow. It's also all on a VPS, so expanding the total is a matter of tweaking the settings in a control panel. But it's harder to shrink (especially since I use xfs), so I prefer not to grow it if it's not necessary.

Cheers :-)
Richard