Re: copy directory tree, mapping to new owners

On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 12:43:29PM +1200, Richard Hector wrote:
> The context of my question is that I'm creating (or updating) a test copy of
> a website. The files are owned by one of two owners, depending on whether
> they were written by the server (actually php-fpm).
>
> To do that, I want all the permissions to remain the same, but the ownership
> should be changed according to a provided map. For example, if the old file
> was owned by 'mysite', the copy should be owned by 'mysite_test'. If the old
> file was owned by 'mysite-run' (the user php runs as), the copy should be
> owned by 'mysite_test-run' (if that has to be 'mysite-run_test' to make
> things easier, I can live with that).

cd /src
mkdir -p /dest
rsync -a . /dest/      # The trailing / matters.
cd /dest
find . -user mysite -exec chown mysite_test {} +
find . -user mysite-run -exec chown mysite-run_test {} +

This is what I would do.  And I would do it *interactively*.

If you insist on making a script, then it will be slightly more
complicated, because you'll need to add error checking.