Re: was: support for xfce in bullseye minimal netinst iso

On Tuesday 14 September 2021 10:08:34 Brian wrote:

> On Tue 14 Sep 2021 at 09:27:25 +0000, Sriram wrote:
> > [...] Can you suggest some links for downloading the bullseye along
> > with xfce which comes to less than 1 GB or preferably somewhere
> > around 500-800 MB, or suggest ways to install the xfce offline  ,
> > there is no deb file for such GUI's.
>
> An xfce installation will pull in about 600 M of packages no matter
> what you choose to do. Does this give some perspective?
>
> What I would consider is:
>
> 1. Skip installation of a desktop in d-i and finish the remainder of
> the process.
>
> 2. Reboot, log in and create /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/01keep-debs.
>
> 3. Edit this file to have
>
>      Binary::apt::APT::Keep-Downloaded-Packages "true";
>
>    Packages should remain in /var/cache/apt/archives/ for you to
> reuse. No futher downloading of xfce packages is now needed. You have
> your own personal "ISO" at no extra cost to disk space or bandwidth.
>
> 4. And finally do
>
>      apt install task-xfce-desktop

This is interesting and I will likely do it when I install the
debian-11.1-net-install I just burnt.

But, I have installed 4, 1 terabyte samsung SSD's on a separate non-raid
controller card which I intend to use as a software raid-6 or 10 after
moving the current boot disk with stretch on it to be /dev/sdd, or even
leaving it disconnected until 11.1 is installed. It has precious data on
its platters.

Those samsungs have not been configured for anything yet. They are seen
ok but individually in dmesg. Looked at by gparted, but nothing written.

So, can the installer handle the configuration of those into a bootable
format all by itself?

If not, what do I install and do to ready them before moving /dea/sda out
of harms way and booting the 11.1 net-install iso? I can if needed,
install a 60 or bigger Gig SSD as the /boot partition on the motherboard
controller as /dev/sda if the software raid can't be booted from.

So how do I best proceed?

Thank you.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)